Siapa tahu berminat

Friday, January 10, 2014

First Winter in the City of Steel

안녕하세요!

Finally one more list in my bucket list is checked, which is having a winter season in foreign country. Yes, right now I am in the Ginseng country called Daehanmingug. Not like other visitor, I am a C-4 visa holder which means I am coming to Korea for a paid job. I am doing my winter internship program in Pohang University of Science and Technology located in Pohang City, a seaside city near Daegu and Busan. POSTECH is one of the top college for engineering degree, especially the Ferrous technology graduate school which named GIFT (Graduate Institute of Ferrous Technology). POSCO has good academic-industrial relationship with POSTECH which make it as the best graduate school for material study specially steel. I will talk about the research about steel later..

Pohang is an industrial city, only ranked 10th of most populated city in South Korea. The atmoshphere is kind of peaceful, calm, pleasant, and cozy. You won't met many people that talked in english except people around university. It's a must to bring your Korean friend along to buy or eat something at the restaurant. It is not valid if you can read Hangul though! You can try to read hangul because it's very easy to recognize the character, the hardest part is to know the meaning! By the way I found that Korean food (한식) is very nice. I have tasted some unique food and they all tasted good. Almost 5 days I have been here and these are the food that came to my tongue:
1. Sundae (순대)
Illustration:

Actually I tasted the soup version (Sundae gug) but I think the sausage is tasted the same. It made from pork's intestine which filled by mixed vegetable, pork blood, pork meat in the inside. It is called pork sausage. Tasted very good even for me who are not the kind of pork meat lover. It's a must try if you are coming to Korea. The price (soup) is about 6000 won with rice (bab).

2. Bibimbab (비빔밥)
This kind of food is the most common food everywhere, even in Indonesia I have tasted it before. I have no special thing about bibimbab but it's a good food to eat when you are hungry. Price : 5000 won (vary with restaurant).

3. Bulgogi
Korean's version of beef teriyaki with more tender beef. But the taste is not strong and I prefer beef teriyaki to bulgogi. But still, it's worth to try because bulgogi is very famous Korean food!

4. A lot of Korean food: fried mackerel fish, many kind of korean soup, a ton of kimchi (yeah, i like kimchi very much, its addicting!), pork cutlet, pork spicy soup (I forgot the name), Korean bread (no special taste), many kind of vegetables that I don't know the name, beef spicy soup. All food don't dissapoint me because they are very nice.

To be continued, more about the city, more about the people, more about the campus. Yeah, a lot of interesting things are here.



No comments: