Siapa tahu berminat

Saturday, January 18, 2014

Korean Noodle!

I'm a fan of noodle, specially instant noodle or usually named ramyeon or ramen. During my stay in Korea, I tried to taste as much kind of noodles here. Yeah, they have a lot of different noodle name and variative way of serving. Some served with gochujang while the other served with no sauce but only soup. Two weeks living in Pohang, at least I have eaten about five differents type of noodles. At first I was kinda skeptical for korean's variative noodle. I thought that they will tasted the same each other. After several tasting.... Yeah I founded that they are very different, even for first time people surely can know the difference of that. So if you wanna know about Korean noodle or maybe planning to taste some of them, I have a recommendation of noodle that you should eat:

1. 칼국수 (Kalguksu) or the knife noodle.
Called by knife noodle because of its preparation process uses knife to cut the wheat into 'noodles like' form. No wonder you will found the noodle's size is kinda wide. Usually served with soup and other additional ingredients like seafood (clamp, prawn, fish, etc) or beef/pork. I tasted the haemul or the seafood kalguksu. 
First tought: the texture is very addicting, makes me wanna eat more and more. I like noodles which has chewy and soft texture and this one has it. Actually kalguksu is a kind of summer food but still worth to try in the winter. This food gives refreshing taste after eat and of course the full taste because it containts much wheat. 

2. 냉면 (naengmyeon) or the cold noodle.
I am not kidding, this kind of food really served cold. Actually it's a winter food but I don't feel very good when tasting this cold. I prefer hot noodle to the cold one, yeah noodle should served hot no matter what (Just my opinion). So my first impression is not good with this one. But still worth to try because it's very popular even they make a song of this noodle. Jessica from Girl's Generation sings about this noodle! Haha. Maybe it's kind of promotion, I don't know the exact meaning of the song. And yeah, it usually eaten with dumplings (you can choose for the fried or steamed one). Dumplings called Mandu in Korean.

3. Chinese noodle - the Korean version
I went to Chinese restaurant last Friday and they served two kind of noodle as their speciality. Yeah, one is my favorite and the most famous one: 짜장면 (jajangmyeon)! The noodle with black sauce! And the other is jjamppong (짬뽕). I think jjamppong is not very special so let's just skip it. Unfortunately I haven't try the jajangmyeon with black sauce because I ordered the restaurant's modified jajangmyeon because it's their speciality. I felt dissapointed of my choice because actually which I oredered was a spicy sauce noodle. Right now I am still curious about the black one, yet still I have tasted the instant noodle version (Jajangmyeon made by Paldo). Just by the look I can feel that jajangmyeon is very yummy, no wonder I always looked at other people's bowl while they ordered a jajangmyeon. 
Look how jajangmyeon looks like:

Yet I still have tasted the instant noodle version:

4. Ramyeon!
This one is actually an instant noodle but some restaurant also served this as a menu. Yet I still try this at one restaurant, of course with some variation not just the plain ramyeon because that is actually an instant noodle. Several popular variation of ramyeon are cheese-ramyeon, ham-ramyeon, bulgogi-ramyeon, kimchi-ramyeon, and tteokbokki-ramyeon. I tasted the latter, which is a mix between ramyeon and tteokbokki (spicy fish cake). Tteokbokki is a very famous snack food in korea. Nothing special about this because basically you can easly found these two food so when you are going to ordering ramyeon, avoid to order these ramyeon. Order a cheese or unique one instead! Hehehe.

No comments: